Saturday, February 26, 2011

You Have Been Warned

I wandered into Banana Republic yesterday and you can consider yourselves forewarned: “putty” is the color of the spring season (at least where they are concerned). It’s so drab and awful, I left the store feeling angry. After mulling over that color for a few minutes, I realized that I was angry not because of that color, however it was due to the indiscriminant use of ruffles on their clothes. I mean there are ruffles on everything, sweaters, t-shirts, jackets. Don’t get me wrong, I am not opposed to ruffles in theory, a wisely worn ruffle IS quite lovely and feminine. What I AM opposed to is the indiscriminant use of those ruffles as Banana Republic has done – it’s as if they threw ruffles on like the paint on a Jackson Pollock canvas. There is a law, (unspoken of course) that ruffles should be placed ABOVE the naval. There should never be a ruffle that is placed or dangles below the naval on women’s clothing as women have hips and oftentimes a derriere (AKA a junk trunk). Newsflash – a ruffle will accent the lower half of the women’s silhouette and unless you are JLo or living in a country where hips and derrieres are prized, most women in the US want to minimize that portion of their body. Living here in the US we are subject to the adoration of the J Crew silhouette. Shame!

No comments:

Post a Comment